When you are not walking or playing with your dog, it seems like he is always sleeping. Have you ever wondered how much or how long Cavalier King Charles Spaniels sleep during the day?
Cavalier King Charles Spaniels sleep between 17 and 20 hours a day. However, you must distinguish between dozing, resting, and deep sleep. Puppies and old dogs have a higher sleep requirement. If a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel sleeps too little, this can lead to health problems.
Why do Cavalier King Charles Spaniels sleep so much?
Like humans, dogs need enough sleep to regenerate and gather new strength. However, the sleep requirement of a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is significantly higher than that of a human.
The little Cavaliers sleep between 17 and 20 hours daily to gather new strength. In older dogs, it can even be up to 22 hours. Due to the short nose, the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel also snores.
However, your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is not in a deep sleep for 17 hours. In dogs, sleeping can be divided into 3 phases:
Deep sleep: the time when dogs sleep properly also amounts to about 6 to 8 hours a day. This is the time in which your Cavalier gathers new strength and regenerates.
Rest: The so-called resting is also an important regeneration process of your dog and is attributed to sleep. During this time, he lies with open eyes in his dog bed or beside you on the couch and relaxes.
Snoozing: Snoozing is a bit more intense than resting. Your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel will lie with his eyes closed and snooze. This is also for regeneration and is an essential part of sleep. However, despite closed eyes, he gets everything in his environment through his ears and nose.
How much do Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppies sleep?
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppies sleep up to 20 hours, sometimes even 22 hours daily. During sleep, puppies process what they have experienced during the day.
Every day they learn something new and see and smell something they never knew. All this must be processed mentally. And this happens during sleep.
If an exciting and eventful day, you might notice that your Cavalier King Charles puppy twitches or makes noises in his sleep. This is when he dreams and processes the events of the day.
So getting enough sleep is essential for puppies to develop and recover.
Consequences of too little sleep!
Not all dogs take their rest periods and get enough sleep. Especially active dog breeds raised to be work junkies from the beginning have problems getting rest from time to time.
For this reason, paying attention to the puppy is essential so that nothing happens between times, and he should lie quietly in his dog bed or next to you on the couch.
Even if a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel likes to cuddle, it is possible that if you constantly encourage him to play, he will eventually get used to this stress level and have problems resting.
This can eventually have health consequences:
- Due to too little sleep, your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel will first become over-excited.
- If he continues not to rest and has too little sleep, his concentration will decrease.
- If the lack of sleep continues, you will notice that your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel becomes increasingly nervous, even aggressive. It can lead to a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel biting.
- Lack of sleep also harms your dog’s overall health. Due to a lack of regeneration and increased stress levels, he becomes more susceptible to diseases that can eventually become chronic.
So getting enough sleep is crucial not only for recovery but also for maintaining an intact immune system.
Tips on how to get your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel to sleep more
If your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has trouble resting and getting enough sleep, the following tips may help you.
- Make sure he has a quiet place to sleep. Maybe your Cavalier doesn’t sleep much and doesn’t get to rest because his dog bed is in an awkward position for him. Not all dogs like to sleep where the family is, and it may even be noisy. One or the other prefers to retire to an extra room.
- Praise your Cavalier when he goes to his dog bed and stays there. Do not encourage him to walk or train, even if you plan to take him for a walk.
- When your Cavalier is lying in his dog bed, do not disturb him. He is in a safe zone. Our children are not allowed to annoy our dogs when they retire to their place. Make sure your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel knows he will not be disturbed in his dog bed.
- Make sure that your Cavalier can go out to pee before you go to bed. If he has to pee at night and can not go out, this does not necessarily contribute to a restful sleep.
Related Cavalier King Charles Posts
Conclusion: How long do Cavalier King Charles Spaniels sleep?
Cavalier King Charles Spaniels sleep between 17 and 20 hours a day. Puppies and older dogs can even get up to 22 hours. Sufficient sleep is crucial for recovery and regeneration and a prerequisite for an entire immune system, as lack of sleep makes the dog more susceptible to diseases.
@ Bane.m-stock.adobe.com (contribution picture)
I am Marco, and I am very lucky to live with 3 big Mastiff-type dogs. In this blog, I want to share all my experiences and knowledge about dogs.